Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
We all love ice cream! What better way to end your day than with some homemade vanilla bean ice cream? Just try to keep this delicious dessert in your freezer for more than a day!
- Whole milk, 1 c
- Salt, 1 pinch
- Sugar, ¾ c
- Vanilla bean (split lengthwise), 1
- Heavy cream, 2 c
- Egg yolks, 5 large
- Pure vanilla extract, 1 t
- In a saucepan, combine the milk, salt, and sugar; heat over medium. Use a paring knife to carefully remove the vanilla bean pod and add it to the milk. Cover the milk mixture, remove from heat, and let sit one hour.
- Prepare an ice bath (fill a large bowl halfway with ice water; place a smaller bowl in the large bowl). On top of the smaller bowl, place a sieve and pour in the heavy cream.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Warm the milk mixture; gradually whisk it into the egg yolks. Pour this mixture back into the saucepan; cover; and simmer on low, stirring frequently.
- The mixture should become a thick custard; strain it into the heavy cream. Stir this mixture in the ice bath so that it cools. Add the vanilla extract; refrigerate overnight.
- Take the vanilla bean pod out and transfer the custard to your ice cream maker. Complete the ice cream according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.