Proja is a Balkan specialty that few can resist. This tasty dish has several variations, but the basic consists of corn flour, cheese and yogurt. We are offering you an alternative which, by the recipe, includes spinach. However, if you want, you can avoid adding vegetables on your
Proja Corn Bread
Proja or Balkan corn bread is quick and simple to be prepared, and there is enough for four people to eat. Yes, such is the Balkan cuisine; delicious, gourmet and friendly.
- Eggs 3
- Flour 250g.
- Corn flower 250g.
- Drinkable yogurt 250ml.
- Oil 150ml.
- Spinach 250g.
- Cheese 250g.
- Baking powder 1 tbsp.
- Salt 1tsp.
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- Wash, clean well the spinach and chop it finely.
- On a pre-heated stove, put the spinach in water and boil it. In a plastic bowl, beat the eggs and add the oil and the drinkable yogurt.
- In another bowl, mix the flour with the corn flour, the baking powder and add one teaspoon of salt. In this mixture, add the previously beaten eggs and mix until every ingredient is incorporated. Once merged, add the cheese (you’ll need finely crumbled pieces) and the boiled spinach, then gently stir with a fork.
- By Balkan tradition, Proja is often baked in baking molds, but you can also use a baking tray. If you’re using baking molds, grease them with thin layer of oil or butter and if using a baking tray, put a baking paper first. Stir the mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake the corn bread at 200 degrees until lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
- Although this recipe contains yogurt and cheese, it’s a habit that piece of Proja is served along with fresh, cold piece of cheese or a cup of drinkable yogurt. If you have the opportunity, be sure to try this delicious meal combined with Ajvar or dried Macedonian hot chili pepper (or you can always find jalapeños).
- As mentioned earlier, this recipe lived through several evolutions so freely experiment adding ham, leeks or carrots instead of spinach. But do not miss the basic magic of this meal, please!
Buy Me a Pie! https://blog.buymeapie.com/