Entertaining in the winter is a great idea. The weather is chilly, people are dealing with cabin fever, and there is a lull after the New Year’s celebrations are over. So why not mix it up with a winter party centered on everyone’s favorite thing: food?! With items you already have on your
Souper Chili Spread
A bowl of chili on a cold winter’s day is just what the doctor ordered. Make it the focus of the party with a “bar” of chili toppings, and have guests create their own chili creations!
Yields 8-12 Servings
Ingredients for Chili:
- Ground beef (or turkey or chicken), 2 lbs.
- Canned diced tomatoes, 2 (28-oz.) cans
- Kidney beans (drained and rinsed), 1 (15.5-oz.) can
- Butter beans (drained and rinsed), 1 (15.5-oz.) can
- Black beans (drained and rinsed), 1 (15.5-oz.) can
- Salt, 1 t
- Black pepper, 1 t
- Chili powder, 2 t
- Cumin, 2 t
- Garlic powder, 2 t
- Large onion (chopped), 1
- Tomato paste, ¼ c
- Canned chipotles (chopped), 2 T
Ingredients for Chili Bar:
Choose as few or as many as you want!
- Sour cream
- Assorted cheeses
- Tater tots
- Tortilla chips or strips
- Pickled jalapenos
- Green onion
- Ranch dressing
- Chopped bacon
- Hot sauce
- Lemon or lime wedges
- Red onion
- In a crock pot, combine the meat and spices. Break up the meat so it’s in bite-sized chunks.
- Add in the onion, tomato paste, chipotles; combine.
- Add the beans and canned tomatoes; combine. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours.
- Set out bowls with toppings; have guests dress up their individual bowls of chili.
Who doesn’t love a pizza party? You can have guests make their own personal pizzas and have enough variety for the vegetarians, meat-lovers, and everyone in-between!
Yields 1 (4-slice) Personal Pizza
Ingredients for Pizza:
- All-purpose flour, 1 c
- Cornstarch, 1 T
- Granulated sugar, 1 t
- Baking powder, ½ t
- Salt, ½ t
- Water, 1/3 c
- Olive oil, 1 T
Ingredients for Toppings:
- Assorted veggies (artichokes, broccoli, bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach, onions, etc.)
- Assorted meats (salami, ham, bacon, pepperoni, sausage, steak, chicken, etc.)
- Assorted cheeses (provolone, mozzarella, Pepper Jack, asiago, cheddar, etc.)
- Assorted sauces (marinara, Alfredo, etc.)
- Assorted herbs and spices (oregano, basil, cilantro, parsley, garlic, red pepper, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Grease a baking sheet with oil or spray.
- Combine the flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix in water and oil; knead until it resembles dough.
- Flour the countertop and roll out the dough to a circumference of about 9 inches and ¼-inch thickness. Brush with oil and spoon desired amount of sauce. Add cheese and other toppings.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until crust is golden brown. Remove, cool, and serve.