Veggie Casserole with Cheese
Who doesn’t love cheese? You will enjoy your veggies even more with these cheesy casserole that is a breeze to whip up. Be sure to allow the rice to sop up the liquid before serving, as this will help to create that luscious, creamy texture.
- butter, 3 T (plus extra for coating)
- all-purpose flour, 2 T
- shiitake or baby Bella mushrooms (sliced), ½ lb.
- onions (chopped), ¼ c
- garlic (minced), 2 cloves
- garlic powder, ½ t
- cayenne pepper, ½ t
- heavy cream, 1 ½ c
- chicken stock, ½ c
- frozen chopped broccoli (thawed and drained), 1 box (10 oz.)
- Monterrey-Cheddar cheese blend (shredded), 2 c
- cooked rice, 3 c
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Coat a casserole dish with butter. Melt the remaining butter and the flour in a large pot over medium heat. The mixture should thicken and brown.
- Toss in the mushrooms, garlic, onions, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, heavy cream, and stock; cook one minute. Toss in the broccoli, half the cheese, and the rice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the casserole dish and spread the rest of the cheese evenly on top. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool and serve.