Who does not love a good fruit salad? This one includes cucumbers, grapes, celery, and honeydew of course. With a “relish” of honey, white wine vinegar, and mustard seeds, you get a pickled yet sweet taste.
Yields 4 servings
- white wine vinegar, 1/3 c
- honey, ¼ c
- yellow mustard seeds, 2 t
- celery seeds, ½ t
- salt, ½ t
- honeydew pieces (cubed or balled), 2 c
- English cucumber (peeled and diced), 1 c
- celery (finely chopped), 1 c
- seedless green grapes (halved), ½ c
- celery leaves (finely chopped), 2 T
- chives (finely chopped), 2 T
- butter lettuce leaves, handful (optional)
- Stir together the honey, ¼ cup of water, mustard and celery seeds, and salt in a 1-quart pan. Heat over medium for 5 minutes, then bring to boil, stirring often. The liquid should reduce to ½ cup. Set aside.
- Stir together the vinegar dressing, honeydew, cucumber, celery, and grapes in a salad bowl. Cover and store in the refrigerator 15 minutes to 1 hour, stir occasionally.
- Add the celery leaves and chives. For an optional plate setting, use the butter lettuce leaves as a base. Top with the salad and serve.