A Belgian endive salad is crisp, clean, and a wonderful addition to any meal. Rather than one endive salad recipe, we have 3 that will please and satisfy your guests or family. All you need is a simple grocery list and about 10 minutes to whip up a nutritious and delicious endive salad.
Belgian Endive Salad with Walnuts
- Apple-cider vinegar, 3 T
- Dijon mustard, 1 t
- Kosher salt, 1 t
- Black pepper, to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil, 5 T
- Belgian endive (trimmed, cut into 1” strips), 6 heads
- Apples (unpeeled, cored, sliced), 2
- Walnuts (toasted, chopped), ½ c
- Combine the apple-cider vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small mixing bowl. A bit at a time, whisk in the olive oil; combine thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, mix the apple slices, endive strips, and chopped walnuts. Drizzle the salad dressing on top, give the salad a toss, and serve.
Endive Salad with Avocado
- Dijon mustard, 1 ½ T
- Lemon juice (from 2 lemons), ¼ c
- Extra-virgin olive oil, ¼ c
- Kosher salt, ¾ t
- Black pepper, ½ t
- Endive, 3 heads
- Haas avocado (peeled, seeded), 3 ripe
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Cut ½” off of each endive stem to remove the core; chop the endive leaves into 1” pieces, and place in a large bowl.
- Give the avocados a chop and combine them with the endive pieces. Drizzle the salad dressing over the salad.
- Add salt and pepper to taste’ serve.
Endive-Hazelnut Salad with Green Beans
- Sherry wine vinegar, ¼ c
- Dijon mustard, 1 T
- Olive oil, ½ c
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Green beans (trimmed), 1 lb.
- Belgian endive (trimmed), 4 heads (~20 oz.)
- Red onions (halved, thinly sliced), 2 c (~1 lb.)
- Fresh goat cheese (softened, crumbled), 1 1/2c (~5 or 6 oz.)
- Hazelnuts (toasted, husked, chopped), ¾ c (~3 oz.)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the vinegar and mustard; whisk. Little by little, whisk in the oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill until ready to use (up to 1 day.)
- Salt and boil a saucepan of water; add green beans and cook about 5 minutes. Drain and submerge in a bowl of ice water to blanch. Drain and dry the beans; set aside.
- Halve the heads of endive and cut them into strips ¼” thick. Combine the endives, green beans, and onions in a large serving bowl. Drizzle the dressing on top; season with salt and pepper; toss.
- Garnish each serving of salad with goat cheese and hazelnuts.