Everyone’s favorite Irish holiday is just around the corner! If you are looking for items to put on your
- 4 lbs. corned beef brisket (flat cut)
- 1-12 oz. bottle Guinness draught
- 1 medium yellow onion (peeled and cut into wedges or diced)
- 2-3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 head cabbage (rinsed, drained and cut into wedges)
- 5-6 medium red potatoes (washed and quartered)
- 6-8 carrots (peeled and cut into 1-3” pieces)
- salt to taste
- Rinse corned beef under cold water, and pat dry. Not rinsing the meat can make it oversalty.
- In a large pot or slow cooker, brown corned beef well on all sides over high heat.
- Pour Guinness over the meat, and add enough water to just cover the corned beef.
- Add the garlic, bay leaf, minced garlic and pepper to the pot (you can also opt to use the packet that typically comes with the corned beef or just set it aside for later use).
- Bring pot to a boil, skim off any foam.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover the pot for 3 hours.
- Add vegetables
- Cover and continue cooking until the corned beef and vegetables are tender (approximately 20-30 minutes).
- Remove the corned beef and slice across the grain. Serve with vegetables and juice from the pot on the side and/or with yellow mustard and malt vinegar. Can also be served as a delicious stew!