With the perfect mixture of pork and beef, as well as loads of flavorful spices, these Swedish meatballs will become a weekday favorite. You will soon learn why this recipe is a go-to in Scandinavian countries. Paired with noodles, they are the ultimate comfort meal!
- Fresh breadcrumbs, 1 c
- Low-sodium beef broth, 2 1/3 c (divided)
- Unsalted butter, 4 T (divided)
- Onion, 1 c (minced)
- Bacon, 2 thick slabs (minced)
- Ground beef, 1 lb.
- Ground pork, ¾ lb.
- Eggs, 3 large (lightly whisked)
- Kosher salt, 1 T
- Black pepper, 1 ½ t
- Sugar, 1 ½ t
- Ground allspice, 1 t
- Ground nutmeg, ½ t
- All-purpose flour, 2 T
- Sour cream, 2 T (stirred)
- In a bowl, combine 1/3 cup of stock and the breadcrumbs; reserve. Over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet. Add onion; sauté and brown (10 mins.) Place cooked onions in a separate bowl.
- Wipe skillet, reheat on medium. Cook bacon to desired crispness; use a slotted spoon to add bacon to onion. Reserve bacon fat. Using your hands, combine next 8 ingredients with onion. Then fold in the breadcrumbs and stock. One tablespoon at a time, create meatballs and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Over medium-high, heat bacon fat and 1 tablespoon butter in large pot. In batches of 3, add 1 tablespoon butter between each batch and sauté the meatballs until cooked through (6-8 mins per batch.) Place cooked meatballs on plate. Reserve 2 tablespoons of drippings; add flour and whisk to form paste. Add 2 cups of stock; simmer; stirring often. Add meatballs to pot; cover and simmer 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat; add sour cream to thoroughly coat meatballs.