Kids and adults alike just love mashed potatoes. Kick things up a notch with some potato casserole recipes that capture that rich flavor and thick texture. These dishes require a simple
Potato Casserole Mash
- unsalted butter (softened), 14 T
- Yukon Gold potatoes (peeled, cubed), 6 lbs.
- kosher salt, 2 T (plus 1 t)
- sour cream, 1 ½ c
- black pepper, 1 t
- chives (finely chopped), 6 T
- breadcrumbs, ⅔ c
- Parmigiano cheese (grated), ⅔ c
- Butter or grease a 9-inch by 13-inch casserole dish. Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Combine the potatoes, 2 tablespoons of butter, and 4 quarts of water in a large pot. Bring to a boil and cook about 20 minutes so that the potatoes get soft. Drain and return to pot.
- Using a hand masher or mixer, mash the potatoes, along with 10 tablespoons of butter, the sour cream, 1 teaspoon of salt, and the black pepper. Then, add the chives; mash. You may add more salt and pepper depending on your taste preferences.
- Now place the potatoes in the casserole dish, spreading them evenly. (Note: If you want to prep this dish in advance, the potatoes can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.)
- Combine the rest of the butter (4 tablespoons), the cheese, and the breadcrumbs in a small mixing bowl. Mix the ingredients to form a coarse mixture. (Note: this mixture can also be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.)
- Pour the breadcrumb mixture over the potatoes in the casserole dish; bake 30-40 minutes.
Meat-Lover’s Potato Casserole
- potatoes (peeled, sliced), 4 c
- butter (melted), 2 T
- salt, ½ t
- ground beef, 1 lb.
- frozen corn, 10 oz.
- condensed cream of celery soup, 1 (10 ¾ – oz.) can
- milk, ⅓ c
- garlic powder, ¼ t
- pepper, ⅛ t
- onion (chopped), 1 T
- cheddar cheese (divided, shredded), 1 c
- fresh parsley (minced), optional, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F. In a large mixing bowl, combine the potatoes, salt, and butter. In a greased 9-inch by 13-inch casserole dish, bake the potato mixture for 25-30 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- While potatoes bake, heat a skillet to medium-high. Brown the ground beef; drain. Combine the meat and corn; pour mixture over the potatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream of celery soup, milk, pepper, garlic powder, onion, and ½ cup of cheese. Pour this over the beef.
- Bake the casserole another 20 minutes so the veggies soften. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top, then bake another 2-3 minutes. Garnish with parsley, if using.