Falafel is a staple in the Middle East, and for good reason. It is easy to make, filled with aromatic spices, and can be conveniently served. Try it with hummus and pita for a delicious lunch!
- dried chickpeas 1 ¾ c
- garlic (crushed) 2 cloves
- ground coriander 1 T
- ground cumin 1 T
- cayenne pepper (or chili powder) to taste
- fresh parsley or cilantro (chopped) ½ c
- ground black pepper to taste
- baking soda ½ t
- lemon juice to taste
- oil for frying
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- Soak the chickpeas in a large bowl filled with 3-4 inches of water; soak for 24 hours, adding more water if necessary.
- Drain the chickpeas and place in food processor. Combine with all ingredients but the oil. Pulse ingredients until coarse and minced (avoid over-pulsing). Add water in tablespoon increments if necessary. Add seasonings and spices to your liking.
- In a large skillet, pour 2-3 inches of oil; heat on medium to about 350 F.
- Use a tablespoon to measure out chickpea mixture; shape it into a ball or patty. Fry the falafel in small batches until golden brown (no more than 5 minutes). Plate and serve.
Buy Me a Pie! https://blog.buymeapie.com/