This is a tried and true favorite and it is easy to see why. This is a match made in heaven – tender duck and fruity plum. Add in some authentic Chinese flavor with a variety of savory spices and you have got a beautiful Asian main course.
Yields 4 servings
- duck breasts w/ skin, 4 (175g per breast)
- salt, ½ t
- black pepper, ½ t
- Chinese five-spice powder, ½ t
- sliced ginger, 1 t
- halved & pitted plums, 8
- honey, 2 T
- soy sauce, 2 T
- cinnamon stick, 1
- star anise, 2
- lime juice, 1 T
- Score and season the duck skin with salt, pepper, and five-spice powder. In a large skillet, fry the breasts, skin-side down, for about a minute. Render the fat by cooking 8 minutes on the lowest setting. Turn over, cook 6 minutes.
- Remove the breasts and plate. Cover with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Drain excess fat from the skillet and add the ginger, sauté 2 minutes. Add the plums, honey, soy sauce, cinnamon stick, star anise, and lime juice, cook 5 minutes. Stir regularly until the mixture is juicy and soft.
- Cut the breasts and serve alongside plum sauce. Pair the breasts with rice and greens or a refreshing salad of cucumbers.